A wee bit more about learning to drive in Glasgow
Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland, and third largest in the United Kingdom. Historically part of Lanarkshire, the city now forms the Glasgow City council area. Glasgow is situated on the River Clyde in the country's West Central Lowlands.
It is the fourth most visited city in the UK. Scotland's capital city, known for it's rich history, architecture and lively culture. Glasgow has a thriving population with over 615,070 "Glaswegians" or "Weegies".
Glasgow driving instructors offer several driving courses, like:
How to keep the cost of driving lessons cheap
The best tips to save money whilst learning to drive is to buy bulk lessons. On average the UK learner driver needs 47 hours to pass - plus 22 hours of private practice.
This means, if you calculate the average number of lessons needed (47) and the average price of a lesson in Glasgow (£28) you are looking at £1,316 to learn to drive.
That is a lot of money - but driving is a skill for life. It can help you gain employment, travel, and create everlasting memories.
Top tips for saving money on driving lessons
- Buy bulk lessons - you can save £££s straight from the fully qualified driving instructor.
- Get in some private practice - Jump in a car with a friend or family. The more time you spend in a car - the faster you pass.
- Keep up your driving lessons - Try and take 2 driving lessons per week and don't take time off. You will be a lot more likely to retain information the more often you have lessons.
Top tips for driving lessons in Glasgow
Here are some of the definitive tips for learning to drive on the city by the Clyde.
1. Get used to the busy traffic on Sauchiehall street.
When driving around Glasgow, Sauchiehall street is always a busy place. So once you master the confidence of the car - proving you can manage traffic there surely means you're test ready.
2. Know your test centre.
There are a bunch of driving test centres in Glasgow. Make sure you know which one suits you - Anniesland, Ballieston, Sheildhall, Bishopbriggs, Hamilton or maybe a little further out at East Kilbride.
3. Get used to the M80
Since the new law has passed that allows learners to drive on motorways with their driving instructor - you can now get onto the M80 and practice driving around Glasgow, to the airport and back. Gaining confidence on these roads are key to passing your test and becoming a great driver.
4. Use Retail Parks
There is a huge car park near Ibrox (Skene Road, Glasgow). Using retail parks like Great Western Retail Park, 10 Allerdyce Rd is great for parking and reversing into bays. Or on the other side of Glasgow, Forge Retail Park, 1 Biggar St.
Manual vs. Automatic driving lessons 🤷♀️
We have compiled some advice for picking manual or automatic transmission. Here are the benefits for all.
Manual driving lessons in Glasgow
Cheaper tuition and cheaper car
You can legally drive manual and automatic cars
You can control vehicle with higher precision.
Automatic driving lesson in Glasgow
Quicker to learn - fast to route to freedom
Don't have to worry about clutch control or stalling
Electric cars are currently all automatic
Once you pass, your licence is automatic only. An additional test is required in order to allow you to drive a manual.
Why use GoRoadie for your Glasgow Driving Lessons?
Booking a driving lesson can be stressful and cause anxiety. Booking through GoRoadie means you can view the instructor you are spending hours with - before committing. We are perfect for learners or parents who want to make sure they are booking their ideal driving instructor.
You can easily look at the driving instructors here, see who is right for you with zero pressure. You can read our reviews, look at our vetting process, and essentially book your driving lesson. Before you know it, you will be on the roads in Glasgow!
- ✅ Compare Glasgow driving instructors
- ✅ All the driving instructors here in Glasgow are verified for security
- ✅ View prices, reviews and filter down what you need for your ideal driving lessons
- ✅ 100s of learner drivers book driving instructors in Glasgow every month
- ✅ Find the right driving instructor for you before paying
- ✅ Compare independent driving instructors, or instructors that work for RED Driving School, British School of Motoring (BSM), or AA Driving School.