Where are the best places to practice driving in Nottingham?
Whether you're with your driving instructor or going out with family or friends, there are a number of places around Nottingham that are great to practice in.
By driving in different areas around Nottingham city, you're going to learn to recognise more places and situations, which will boost your experience and confidence.
Here's a few places to practice:
- Around your own home E.g. Trent Road, Nottingham, NG2 4FB Familiar areas and roads are the best when starting out. If you have a road out of front of your home and are able to use the car of a friend or family member, it's a great chance to get familiar with car controls, checking mirrors, pulling off and stopping and other basic manoeuvres.
- Riverside Retail Park Riverside Retail Park, Nottingham, NG2 1RU Shopping centre car parks can be great places to practice turns and forward and reverse parking in to bays, as well as developing your clutch control.
- A60 Nottingham to Loughborough Huntingdon St, Nottingham, NG1 3NF The A60 from Nottingham takes you on a straight and consistent drive through the city centre and back roads to Loughborough. This means slower speeds and single lane roads, letting you focus on control. It's a long drive, so you may not want to do both ways!
- Colwick Industrial Estate Private Road No 5, Colwick Industrial Estate, Nottingham, NG4 2JU We recommend being cautious here, but the Nottingham (Colwick) test centre is in this industrial estate. It's good to familiarise yourself with the area you will start your test from, but it's important to not become a burden to learners taking their practical test. Consider using this area after 5pm.
- Eldon Business Park Unit 24, Eldon Business Park, Eldon Road, Beeston, NG9 6DZ Similarly to Colwick Industrial Estate, this is another test centre location, this time it's Nottingham (Chilwell). Familiarise yourself, but stay considerate.
- M1 M1, Nottingham Not recommended without a driving instructor, but learners are now permitted to go on motorways. The M1 connects London to Leeds and is easily accessed in Nottingham. 4 or more lanes can be pretty intensive, but will get you used to higher speeds and heavy traffic.
- Find the right Nottingham driving instructor for you. Over 50 highly reviewed instructors, from £22 per hour.
We couldn't recognise that postcode - please check and try again 🤔