Applying For Your First Provisional Driving Licence
It's a very exciting time when you're applying for you first provisional driving licence. The following steps will guide you through everything you need to do in order to apply for your licence.
Applying for your provisional online
- You must be at least 15 years and 9 months old
- You must be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away
- You will need to pay a £34 fee
- You will need to provide the 9-digit passport number of your valid UK Biometric Passport or an alternative proof of identity if you don't have one. For Northern Ireland: You will need to provide a full valid current passport in your current name, a valid UK Biometric Residence Permit or UK or a Republic of Ireland birth certificate
- You will need to provide all the addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
- You will need to provide your National Insurance number if you know it
The provisional driving licence is valid for a car, moped and motorbike.
If you'd prefer to apply for your provisional licence via post, be aware that it comes with a higher cost of £43.